How To Properly Care For Your Sunglasses
When you get prescription glasses, you're given instructions on how to clean and care for the lenses and frames so they last a long time. Sunglasses also need to be cared for properly to ensure they last years. If you don't care for them properly, the lenses can become scratched and foggy and the frames may even break. Follow these tips to keep your glasses clean and to help avoid breaking them.
1. Clean them daily. Sunglasses should be cleaned after each use, or daily if they are worn frequently. To clean the lenses, rinse them with a mild dish soap and warm water. Dry them with a soft, absorbent cloth that is not made from paper. Paper towels, tissues, and toilet paper can leave behind a powdery residue.
2. Invest in a cleaning cloth. Cleaning cloths are made from soft material that absorbs oils and removes dirt and debris from the lenses without scratching or smudging them. Cleaning cloths should be washed regularly in a mild dish soap and warm water then allowed to dry completely before using them again. Keep a spare cleaning cloth in your purse or pocket at all times so you can clean your lenses as needed.
3. Avoid dropping them. When sunglasses are dropped, even from a low height, they can scratch or even break. To avoid dropping them, attach a retainer cord to each end. The retainer cord allows you to keep your sunglasses securely around your neck when you're not wearing them.
4. Keep them out of the heat. Sunglasses are often coated with special materials that keep the harmful UVA and UVB rays from the sun out of your eyes. These special materials can't withstand hot temperatures which can lead to fogged and distorted lenses. Excessive heat can even melt the frames of your sunglasses. To avoid this problem, never store your sunglasses in the car on a hot day.
5. Don't wear them in the pool. Chlorine in the pool can lead to hard water spots on your lenses, so avoid wearing them in the pool. Sunglasses can be worn in fresh water, however, because it doesn't leave spots like hard water does.
Now that you know how to properly care for your sunglasses, browse through our wide selection of high-quality and fashionable frames. You're sure to find a pair or two that you'll love.